Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 May 1997 13:33:53 -0700
From:         Paul Uusitalo <puusital@Adobe.COM>
Subject:      Re: syncro uneven tire wear?

I just chewed though the outside edge of one of the front tires on my Syncro (in a fashion similar to the tire in question) over the course of about 2000 miles. Turned out I'd knocked the toe-in off by almost an inch, plowing into a snow drift in Wyoming (would have never known it by the ay the vehicle drove though).

The good news - no major mechanical issues.

The bad news - a whole new set of tires for the Syncro, as the others were worn to a point where I didn't feel I could prudently add 1 new tire to the mix.

Based on my experience here, I would strongly reccommend Syncro owners to have their alignment checked at regular intervals and at any point you suspect you've begun to experience abnormal tyre wear.

Oh, and make sure you download Derek's corrected Syncro alignment specs from:

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/cgi-bin/msg?m=msg07812&a=/v95/vanagon.95.05

Paul Uu

At 7:36 AM -0700 5/7/1997, mdstockr wrote: >Steve, > >Possible causes (can be combined): > >1. Defective tire. > - The steel belts located under the tire's tread may not be centered > properly. This would explain excessive shoulder wear. > >2. Low tire inflation pressure. This would explain excessive overall > and shoulder wear. > - If the bus has alloy rims, there may be a corrosion problem where > the tire seats against the rim. I have experienced this with Audi > alloy rims. > - Slow leak in the tire itself. > - Neglect by owner. > >3. Poor alignment. > - The camber setting for the RF tire might be off, causing excessive > outside shoulder wear. This will not explain excessive overall wear. > >4. Problem with front differential. > - May not be distributing the torque properly to the front wheels. (I am > not into the workings of Syncro differentials, so this is hypothetical) > >5. Owner drives around in circles CCW. Not probable. > >Michael > >--- On Wed, 07 May 1997 10:12:49 -0400 Steve Davis ><Steve_Davis@mtvalleyhs.sad43.k12.me.us> >wrote: > >>Michael- >> >>The tire was put on at the same time and is just the same as all the rest. >>The Current owner could not explain it. >>All the tread was worn more than the other tires and it was also worn >>more the >>outside(similar to hard cornering wear) >> >>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. >> >>Thanks Michael for the reply >> >>Stephen Davis >> >>This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. >> > >-----------------End of Original Message----------------- > >____________________________________________ > > Michael Stocker <mdstockr@neo.lrun.com> > North Canton, Ohio, USA > 5/7/97 10:16:38 AM EST >____________________________________________