Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 May 1997 15:46:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Charles D Earl <cdearl@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Gas and temp gauge QUIT

Pete, I wish I knew why I have had to replace this part twice. It is your voltage stabilizer, sometimes refered to as a vibrator which has gone bad. It is a small black rectangle with 3 leads sticking out of one end. You can see illustrations of it in both Haynes and Bentley. Remove the instument panel cover, unsnap all the switches and disconnect the speedo. Lift out as unit, stabilizer on back. Carefully bend the leads of the new stabilizer w/needlenose. I paid $7.25 for the part. This is a good time to clean the gauges and clear plastic covers. You could use your odometer for the gas, but that temp gauge is pretty important. For the price, I would buy a new part. Its too much trouble to do again if a scavenged one goes out early.

Charles '83.5 Westy