Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 07 May 1997 19:27:21 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <katsuki@bbn.com>
Subject:      Re: 1983 balljoints?

John,

I've got the same symptom in my 87 with 146,000 miles. I've replaced the upper ball joints (reduced clunks somewhat) and will soon replace the lower ones also. I think the better test for ball joint wear is to compress the joint with a C-clamp and measure play , then compare with a new one (this is test for other cars). Unfortunately, VW doesn't specify wear limits, that I can find, so when I replace them I will measure and report to the group the wear measured, and whether replacing the joint fixed the clunk. I'm pretty sure that they are the cause.

Dave

At 07:39 PM 5/6/97 -0500, John Olmsted wrote: >I have a 1983 diesel GL that makes an ugly 'clunk' when going over bumps >at low speed. I have replaced the rack & pinion due to excesive play >and the tie rod ends; to no avail. > >Is it possible that the lower ball joints are gone? My mechanic says >they are ok, he prys on the joint to check for play. I am not sure this >is a valid check, does anyone know a more foolproof check? What >experience have any list members had with ball joints/front end clunks? > >We have owned our van since new, it has 225 000 km (~135 000 mi). > >-- >Diesel John > >'83 Vanagon Diesel GL 'The Smoking Tortoise' >'71 S-Cab 'Ole Blu' >'83 Audi 5000 TD >'84 Audi 5000 Avant >ex '71 Superbeetle >ex '71 Window Van >ex '76 Scirocco >ex '77 & '78 Rabbit Diesel > > >