Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 01 May 1997 19:04:42 EDT
From:         thunkler@juno.com
Subject:      84 Head Bolt/Nut leak

After a successful 1900 mile trip. I smelled hot antifreeze! Yuk. Upon investigation, I have found a wet trail sourced at the top front and rear head bolts on the passenger side(no apparent leak from top middle bolt). Guess it was that increased heat load on those steep Virginia hills.

So if anyone's been there and done that on this, how do I fix it??

I would also like to know the following dimensions, hopefully before I take the headnuts off..

1.) Hole diameter in head for headbolts.

2.) Diameter across threads, and shank of head bolts.

My plan of attack is as follows:

a) Scribe a line on headnut to head for reference. b) Take torque wrench and see what present torque is by, first recording tightening"breakaway" torque, then loosen 1/8 turn and tighten back to scribed line and record that torque c) Remove nut and stuff an o-ring of appropriate size ? into space to stop coolant from leaking. d) Dry and clean the area and headnuts.

e) Use yellow "dealer" sealant and apply liberally to joint area and headnut surface.

f) Torque to measured value in b above.

g) Due the same to the other leak.

I can see all kinds of potential for problems either causing more leaks or perhaps setting the head up for cracking latter.

Thanks,

Tom Hunkler thunkler@juno.com 1984 Vanagon 1.9 142k