Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 May 1997 16:32:00 -0400
From:         "The Bus Depot" <list@busdepot.com>
Subject:      Re: Administrator Soliciation - I'll Put In $500.00

At 12:37 PM 5/8/97 -0500, Gerald Skerbitz wrote: > I've been running the Vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu mailing list for over 3 years > now. It's been great, but frankly, I'm very tired of it and would like to > stop. > I'm looking for someone to take over the list. All of it. Ron Lussier was > interested in hosting it at his site, but backed out for reasons of network > resources and $$. > And Ron Lussier added: > I just want to mention that I'm willing to run the list, but I'd need to > purchase a machine and software (LISTSERV) to host the list, which would > cost approximately $1500.00. Bandwidth is not a problem... my site has a T1. > If folks on the list are willing to pony up an average of $3 apiece for a > host machine and the LISTSERV software license, I'll run the list.

As a couple people pointed out in the past, I owe a great debt to the Vanagon list and its members. Had it not been for the support of Gerry and the members of the List, I might not have been able to realize my dream and start my Bus/Vanagon parts business. (Not to mention the many times that the collective wisdom of the List and the Archives have helped me keep my own Vanagon on the road!)

Since the Vanagon list has given so much to me, both personally and financially (by way of list members who became customers), it only seems fair that I should be willing to give back to the List. To this end, I'll offer to make up any shortfall toward the $1500 cost of keeping the list going, up to a maximum of $500.00 (the most that I can afford right now).

Let me quickly add that I am NOT attempting to "buy" the list. I do NOT expect any special priveleges in return, such as the right to advertise on the list. I do NOT have any "hidden agenda" of turning this list into a Bus Depot list. I do not want advertise on the list any more than I presently do (posting periodic special buys or responding to queries). I merely hope it to remain exactly as it is, and if my financial support can help make that possible, then I think it's the least I can do considering that you all have supported me. I'm getting more out of the list than many, so it only seems fair that I should put more in. Once again, let me reiterate: No strings attached, whatsoever.

Of course, if someone steps forward who has access to the neccessary equipment for less than the $1500 (or free??), then of course I'd be happy to save money, as I'm sure we all would. But if buying this equipment is going to be what it takes to keep our Vanagon list going, then count me in for as much as I can afford. If there were more hours in the day, and I knew the least bit about computers, I'd very happliy volunteer to run the list myself, but as it is, the only useful support I can offer is financial. So Ron, if it's okay with you, just let me know how much you need when the deadline approaches.

I'd like to add a special thanks to Gerry for everything he's done for us Vanagoners over the last few years. My hobby, and yes, my life, has been enriched and enlivened by the existence of this list.

-Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com