Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 08 May 1997 17:49:24 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <katsuki@bbn.com>
Subject:      Re: Clarification on Handling of Vanagons

Mark,

On the short wheelbase - the Westy's have exactly the same wheelbase as the other Vanagons, so I don't think that is a factor. The handling differences I'm noticing are not typical of changes in polar moment of inertia, but rather of soft springing, low spring rate on the anti-sway bar, more complient rubber bits in the suspension, etc. (aggrevated by some more weight up top).

On slip angle - Slip angle is a property of the tire, rather than the suspension and is determined by the construction of the specific tire (varies from tire to tire). It refers to the angle that a tire must be turned relative to the forward direction of a car in motion before it starts to develop significant turning force (lateral displacement). Obviously all tires will develop force after a while unless you are driving on ice, but the slip angle is important because it governs the timing of the transition from going straight into a turn. If the rear tires have a larger slip angle than the fronts, when you initiate the turn, the rear end will start LATER than the front, causing a momentary oversteer condition which goes away when you are firmly into the turn. If the fronts have a larger slip angle than the rear, a momentary understeer will result when you start a turn. The bad problems occur when you are mostly going straight ahead, since then you are constantly initiating little turns one way and the other. Then the momentary understeer or oversteer causes tyou to be continuously "hunting" for straight ahead, and it feels just like something is loose or misaligned in the front end. I notice this every time I put snow tires on my van, even though they are the same width and aspect ratio. I think you would really notice this with a 60 series tire on the front and a 70 or 78 on the rear. I don't know whether it would be undrivable or not.

Dave

At 10:04 PM 5/7/97 -0500, mark keller wrote: >..... I feel that the short wheel base, 95 inches might >contribute to your reporting a differnt feeling with respect to cornering >on the Westy chassis vs your Wolfsburg chassis. This short distance from >the tire to the polar axis, the rear wheels, requires the front tire >sidwall to be stiffer, more ply or a lower profile, 60 series, than a tire >on a 10 or 15 inch longer chassis. > > Do they make an air shock for the vanagon? Again another article spoke >about increasing the spring rate on the rear by torqing a ratchet type >device, but I think it was a pre vanagon article. Does the vanagon have >the same type of gizmo?

No - this refers to earlier VWs which use torsion bar springs rather than coil springs.