Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 09 May 1997 08:46:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Peter Eaton <Peter_Eaton@zd.com>
Subject:      A sharp metallic SNAP...

Came from the front end (pass. side) when I hit a small bump going into a parking lot last night.

(Sorry about this next part; I own a Bentley manual, but it's in storage 35 miles from here)

What broke is a short (10 in.) S-shaped vertical rod in front of the coil spring....doesn't seem to be a part of the primary suspension, no is the steering affected. I'm guessing the thing it attaches to at the top is a sway bar, and who knows what the thing at the bottom is. It sheared right where it goes into the lower bushing, at the point where it necks down to a 3/8 bolt. I didn't hit anything hard; from the looks of it corrosion has done it's work

1. What is this thing called and what does it do?

2. Is it still safe to drive for a couple of days? (And if not, why?)

3. Does anyone have a mail-order source for these?

4. Are there any tricks to replacing them? (Looks fairly easy, but that's when I usually get caught)

As an aside, I've been on the list under two weeks, and in that time my gauges have quit and now random metal is giving way....is this coincidence?

Peter Eaton 84 GL "The Land Ark" (now listing to starboard)