Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 09 May 1997 09:03:14 -0500
From:         Gilbert Landin <gilbert@mindgame.com>
Subject:      transmission woes

ok I covered all my bases trying to get a used/rebuilt/working transmission for "money pit" 89 westie 78k, (synchro gear problem) the only people that would work on it waS the dealer. They would charge $1200 to replace the synchro and while the tranny was in its most vulnerable position they would add for anything else that might be damaged :< ... I found a wrecking yard with one for $1200 no telling what or where the condition would be....searched the archives and send some e-mail and was recommended a place in California that rebuilds and sells . Here is their story..They would send an '82 tranny complete with all retrofits to fit "money pit" for 695 plus a 199 core charge. Gary claims that the '82 was a much more better design than the new ones. If I want an exact replacment the price was 700 plus a 400 core charge, and it would probably not last as long as the older one.. I asked him about the drivshaft angles causing more wear on the cv joints and if I would have any problems with the modifications(thanks joel)..he assured me he does this all the time and has very good luck..I decided to call these guys first (800) and after a couple of attempts I got through, discussed the problem and ordered my transmission. When I asked the dealer how much a factory rebuilt trans would cost he told me 2400...I told him I did not want to buy his dealership just a transmission. I told him I orderd one through the internet for 800 dollars..he just said go for it and turned around and tried to sell another BMW to someone else...anyway the local import repair shop will charge me 175 to drop the old tranny and install the new one all in all includeing a core charge (which I should get MOST of it back) I will have payed 1000 for my rebuilt trans..The good thing is since I do the computer work for the used car dealer and I often cut them some slack on my billing they have agreed to pay for half the amount...so I am sure I will have an extra 3 bucks to contribute.

PS the outfit i bought the transmissin from was Transform in California, at (800) 508-7267. thanks for the recommendation -Ron Salmon