Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 09 May 1997 09:53:39 -0500
From:         Mike Ingala <techmti@athenet.net>
Subject:      vanagon questions to the folks that know

Hi all- Just subscibed to this list because I may in the very near future be a Vanagon owner but have a lot of questions first... the vanagon in question is a 1984, barebones Vanagon. The only 'feature' it really has is an awesome (probably 3' x 3') sunroof....it has 4 new tires, new water pump, all newly done brakes, mostly new exhaust and only 37,000 original miles..the asking price is $4500. My fiance and I test drove it the other day and really liked it except for the lack of power and the fact that it felt like it was about to blow over any time it got windy. We were pretty much set on buying it but then yesterday I went to the library and read what Consumer Reports had to say about the 84 Vanagon and they didn't really have anything good to say about it...complained a lot about the power and emergency handling of it. We told the person selling it that we didn't want to buy it due to what was read in the consumer reports and he told me that consumer reports was slanted toward Japanese vehicles and if we really wanted to know about Vanagon's we should talk to Vanagon owners; hence, my subscription to this list. so....I have a few questions...1)how does $4500 sound as a price? 2) Are there shortcomings specific to an 84 that would've contributed to consumer report's horrible review of the vehicle? 3)The head gaskets look to be in good shape, could somebody give me a liklyhood (in a percentage) that these are going to start leaking and become a costly repair? Any additional information is welcome...

thank you- mike