Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 May 1997 21:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:         mcleans@earthlink.net (Ed McLean)
Subject:      Overheating? Try these ideas. (long)

Hi Folks,

There have been several postings recently concerning overheating of wasserboxers in traffic and as the Summer approaches I just thought I would summarize some of the information concerning overheating that I have gathered over the past few years. Many of these ideas have been posted on the Vanagon list before and I apologize for not referencing the original authors. Thanks, however, should go to Dennis Haynes, Ed Buzz, Joel Walker and others for some of these ideas. The example used is my '86 Westi with automatic transmission and 180,000 miles (engine rebuilt at 135,000 miles because of low oil pressure and increasing rod bearing knock on startup).

I believe items 2, 5, and 6 are of most importance in this list!

1. The inside of the radiator should be clean and all of the tubes should be clear and free flowing. You can check this by removing the radiator and running hot water through it while feeling for heat over the entire front and back. If all is not clear, a radiator shop may be able to help. A mild radiator flush is also a good idea.

2. It is equally as important that the OUTSIDE of the radiator also be clean. Since you already have the radiator out, a very effective method is to spray some thin liquid detergent (such as 409 brand) on the outside of the fins of the radiator and then hose it off with a strong spray of water. The greasy dust that comes off will amaze you. This dust can divert the flow of air from going through the narrow passages between the fins and totally destroy the heat transfer efficiency of the radiator. CLEANING THE OUTSIDE OF MY RADIATOR WAS ABSOLUTELY THE MOST SIGNIFICANT THING I DID TO IMPROVE THE COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE. Before I washed the outside of the radiator the coolant temperature gauge needle stayed clear above the red light and sometimes it covered the little white dot near the top of the gauge. After washing, the needle stayed squarely on the red light except when driving in town after a highway run. Then the needle moved only slightly above the center of the red light and soon returned to center.

3. Flush out the remainder of the cooling system, reinstall the radiator, fill and bleed. The front of a '86 or newer Vanagon does not need to be elevated to bleed the system. It works fine if you just use the Bentley method on level ground. You can idle the engine at 2000 rpm by placing a dime or penny under the adjustment screw on the throttle body to hold the butterfly slightly open. This makes bleeding an easy one person task. I use Prestone Long Life coolant (50% concentration). Although some have suggested there is a compatibility problem with this and other coolants, I called Prestone's customer service 1-800 hotline and they said there was no problem using this with other coolants but do not use it at higher than recommended concentrations.

4. I have also installed a slightly modified 82 degree Celsius thermostat (Pep Boys, Robertshaw 910-180) to replace the 87 degree C VW thermostat. The modification was to trim the bottom disk to the same diameter as the VW thermostat using a grinding wheel. This dropped the coolant temperature needle to the bottom half of the red light on the gauge. I feel this small change did slightly lower the oil temperature and thus increase the idle oil pressure (see below). This may be an insignificant effect, however.

5. I use 15W50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Purolator or VW filters.

6. I NEVER fill the crankcase oil level to the top of the operating range on the dipstick. I always keep the oil level between the bottom of the operating range and 1/4 up from the bottom. This lowered my oil temperature (VDO drain plug sensor and electric gauge) from 255 degrees F to 185 degrees F at 70 mph on a 80 degree day! Usual oil temperature is about 175 degrees F even in 30 degree weather. Before reducing the oil level, hot idle oil pressure was sometimes 1-2 psi. Now it is generally 10 psi. Hot, 3000 rpm oil pressure is 30 to 40 psi now. The oil warning light and buzzer came on a few times before I made these changes but they never come on now.

I think attention to these few details has made a significant difference in the durability of the engine. They are certainly low cost items and I believe they are worth consideration. I know I certainly have a greater peace of mind when I look down at the gauges.

I just thought it was worth putting these together in a single post.

Ed McLean '86 Westi