Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 09 May 97 17:29:00 PDT
From:         Gregory M Daughtry <Gregory_M_Daughtry@ccm2.hf.intel.com>
Subject:      Air Filter Intake Assembly

Whoooooppeeeee!

I just got my van 'Govinda' outta the body shop. 6 1/2 weeks and $7,000 later my insurance company felt compelled to decline to renew my policy.

Bastards!

Anyway, I have a van with a new rear end and front bumper! Looks great!

But there is a caveat.

My right rear bumper/hatch/quarter panel was crushed. There used to be an air intake plastic pipe that connected to the air filter assembly. As I recall, it was a rectangular piece that dropped down from inside the body panel that connected to a round, flexible piece at the filter. Before I had it fixed this rectangular piece was crushed and restricted air flow, so I pulled it off and let the air filter get air from the engine compartment. They did not replace this piece.

Here are my questions:

1) In a '87 Vanagon GL Westy, how does the air intake system work? 2) What parts should be there? 3) Should this be a part of the metal panel that was replaced/repaired? 4) Is the engine designed such that it needs additional pressure from air intake ducts funneled directly into the air filter assembly through a control volume (kind of like a supercharger/turbo charger compresses air intake)? 5) Is it okay just to buy an additional length of the flexible plastic hose and run it up to the fresh air intake at the body panel to get cool air? 6) If I need that rectangular plastic piece, could someone with the fiche look up the part number for me?

Thank you greatly in advance.

'Greg and Govinda

Back on the road, thummin' no mo'