Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 May 1997 02:47:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: some vanagon questions.

In a message dated 97-05-09 16:48:13 EDT, GILBERT_JEFF@tandem.com writes:

>Just purchased my first vanagon, an 87 westie synchro. I Have a few > questions:

Welcome to the club!!! :)

>1. Any suggestions on the best motor oil to use?

Synthetic. What climate do you live in? In southern California I'd choose between 10W-40 and 20W-50.

>2. Whats the brand name of the suggested coolant (the kind thats easier > on the heads as far erosion is concerned).

VW's Autobahn or Prestone's "LongLife". Both are phpsphate free. Certain varieties of the Prestone Longlife cannot be mixed with other "regular" coolants though.

>3. Where can I find the EPA emissions label? I bought it out of CA > (where i live) and am trying to find if it was ever certified for CA > emissions (will save me $300).

On the inside of the rear license plate holder / door.

>4. I have very slow leaks from heads 1 and 3 (not enough to even drip > on the ground, but can see some coolant). Must these be replaced > immediately? Will waiting a while increase the chance of > significant erosion that could cause the need for engine > replacement? The mechanic that inspected the van said i could (its > a crap shoot) get 20k before needing to replace...this worries me..

The damage is almost always on the heads, not the block side of the gasket. Chances are that you'll need to replace the heads anyway when the leaking becomes more significant. I'd continue driving for now, if it was my van.

> 5. Guess thats it for now, but any helpfull hints or info would be > greatly appreciated!

Change the coolant at least every 2 years. 1 yr/change would be better.

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg