Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 02 May 1997 10:06:09 +0300
From:         zeidler@NTCNTG02DU.ntc.nokia.com (Zeidler Helmut NTC/Dusseld.)
Subject:      All engines running

For everyone who knows what I'm doing on my camper, what I can tell more...

1st engine: Heater blower It starts it's first run weeks ago during a first test if it works. I got it from '87 crewcab wreck. It squeaks very loud the first seconds, but then it runs well. Nice, the van got it's first blower.

2nd engine: Fuel pump Nothing unusual. Runs as expected. No leaks on the fuel system.

3rd engine: Radiator fan First time I needed the battery. My electronic power supply doesn't provide the current the fan needs. But the fan runs fine on car's battery.

4th engine: The 5 Cylinder It starts the first time yesterday after a whole days discussion with Murphy: All, what can be done wrong, will be done wrong. I hate him...

The starter does not turn the engine. The gear switched in, but nothing else. Battery empty? But the lights are still up.

I know that I painted the gearbox support, but I cleaned the contact terminals for the ground strap. But I don't think about the connection between the support and the gearbox. I disconnected the ground strap from the support and screwed it onto the gearbox itself.

The starter still do not turn the engine. I checked the terminals at the starter. The terminal washers are painted, who does something like this? I got this wire extension from a friend to fit the different starter location. I will ask him next weekend. I cleaned the washers and tried again. Engine is turning!

I expected some noise from the fuel pump, but there is no. I found the fuelpump relay is not working because of missing pulses from the ignition system. I added a connector under the dashboard for a second wiring harness from the engine bay. On there I had to use two wires of same colour: blue/red. What happened, they are swapped, Murphy laws.

Next try, but the fuel pump still doesn't work. I found the fuelpump relay must be blown by my previous mistake. I took a short wire and shortened the relay. The pump comes up.

The engine turns, get fuel and sparks. But it fires to everywhere. Through the whole exhaust system and into the air cleaner box. Wow, a loud sign from the engine that spark wires #4 and #5 were swapped. Bad mistake, corrected it and start the engine again. Some adjustments to find the right timing and voula:

ENGINE IS RUNNING, great sound of a 5 Cyl. out of a Vanagon. I'm missing a small hose for the air by-pass (the old one doesn't fit) and the engine dies at idle, but this, at all, was a great day for me.

Helmut '80 Camper