Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 May 1997 23:59:49 -0400
From:         "lbart" <lbart@preferred.com>
Subject:      Circle Yer Wagons

Hey all, I attended a great VW show today. It was called Circle Yer Wagons and is apparently annual. It was in Sevierville, TN, which is pretty darn close to Knoxville. I was tipped off to the show by lister Ted Finesman and got directions from Dave Easterwood.

The show started Friday night, when lots of folks arrived and camped on the fairgrounds there. I was not there as I was busy getting home from college/unpacking/etc. This morning, I headed down to Sevierville after an oil change (I needed it badly).

I found the place easy enough, right by the Pigeon River. There were many Volkswagens. I paid my $5 to get in (one-day pass) and looked around. I eventually found the Georgia contingent and spoke to a fellow there who told me where I could find Mr. Easterwood. I asked Dave if he knew if Ted Finesman was there. Dave pointed me to Ted's Bus. I headed over, and sure enough, there was Ted in his Type2 T-shirt :-) .

Ted has a very nice '75 Bus with a custom (and very well done) interior. Ted is also a goldsmith and displayed the VW jewelry he has made. Very nice stuff.

Ted and I checke out the goodies at the show when a fellow approached us, noticing Ted's shirt. He identified himself as Blake Sartin. Blake had with him a fellow named Pete who is also on the list and a fellow named Rick. Blake has a '69 Westy, Rick has a '78 Bus, and Pete has a Bus, and for the life of me I can't remember the year.

So we all chatted about all kinds of things, checked out each other's Buses, etc. We made the rounds of the show:

Numerous Type 1s, including a very nice split window Beetle, absolutely 100% gorgeous. There was also a 1954 Beetle, equally gorgeous. Then there were the ugly Bajas and the lowered POS's. There were quite a few nice stock Beetles though.

Many Type 2s. Mostly Westies, lots of loaves and a few splitties too. There was a '57 Westy that was absolutely gorgeous, a 21-window deluxe with LOTS of rust around every window, a '72 with a Westy interior but a top that popped straight up, a highroof loaf, and many more that I can't remember right now. A few Vanagon Westies, but not many.

Only a couple Type 3s, all squarebacks. One had a Type 4 engine in it, very poorly done.

No Type 4s.

Very few Karmann Ghias, one really nice red one and an older green one that was for sale.

The vendor/swap section was OK, there were a few vendors who were WAY overpriced (like $20 for a Hot Wheels Vanagon).

There was a parade, which was cool. The parade was police-escorted, through the streets of Sevierville. Very cool.

There was a bug-bash, where you pay your money and get a chance to pound a stripped Beetle with a sledgehammer. Why can't they use a Honda or Oldsmobile instead? That would be much more entertaining. However, I can report that a Beetle roof does not stand up too well to a 10-lb sledge.

The show continues through Sunday, with camping at the site. I only went for Saturday as Sunday is mother's day and my mom has decreed that we all have to be here :-) . Sunday is the day of the "engine blow."

Not a bad show, kinda small but a good turnout for this area. I had a good time and got a little sunburn as well :-)

Still looking forward to BOTBR

Sean