Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 1997 13:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      Vanagon/San Diego FS

For Sale:

1982 Vanagon GL, 2.0L, FI, air-cooled, 80,287 miles (approx 21K on rebuilt engine), two-tone blue, tinted windows, 7-pass, rebuilt exhaust system, USA/Federal version, currently smogged, registered, and titled in California. Vehicle currently used as a commuting vehicle in San Diego, california.

The Vanagon was originally purchased while living in Lincoln, NE, as a *long-term* driving/camping vehicle for the family. I'm also the original owner of a '73 Squareback ... to give you an ida of what I mean by long-term. With "log-term" in mind, I did a complete engine rebuild (new oil pump, camshaft, pistons, cylinders, main bearings,lifters, push rods, tubes,tube seals, main seals, throw-out bearings, flywheel, clutch plate, AFS, etc., etc.). After the rebuild, it was used daily for short in-town trips (5-10 miles), and occasionally for longer trips (camping, 200-400 miles RT). The Vanagon was driven to san Diego, in May 1996. Since September, it has been used alomost daily for a 36 mile RT commute. It has been averaging abround 17 mpg for the commute. To pass California smog testing the entire exhaust system was rebuilt (reconditioned USA/Fed Cross-over pipe, new muffler, new cat aconverter, new EGR filter, etc.).

Ideally, I would like to keep this "workhorse" Vanagon. I have invested a lot of time, effort, and funds in this vehicle with the intention of keeping it long-term. But the recent inheritance of an 86' Westfalia, functionally makes the Vangon obsolete. In addition, my spouse would like to purcahse a smaller car for commuting. I can't justify the EXHORBITANT California insurance costs on four vehicles, but more inportantly, I would like to conserve funds for a complete restoration of my Squareback (planned for next Summer).

Botton line: I need to find a new home for this Vanagon. Hopefully, a home that will use, but not abuse this "workhorse" vehicle.

For pictures, specs, and a detailed history, point your web browser to:

http://www.sdsc.edu/~csmith/vanagon/vanagon.html

And/or you can contact me at home, (619) 748-4658 (evenings or weekends), or via email at csmith@sdsc.edu.

Chris San Diego