Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 1997 17:38:45 -0400
From:         Hotch <hotch@netaxs.com>
Subject:      Re: '87 has noisy lifter

Kathy,

You might want to change to synthetic oil. It flows better than dino and tends to quiet lifters. The only time I hear my lifters is on the startup after an oil change.

Hotch 86 GL Philly

Katherine McElveen wrote: > > Mark, > I'm a fairly new owner of an '87 Westy. The first time it did that > to me, I started driving it immediately to my mechanic. Then it stopped, > so I turned around, went home and called them instead. They told me that > this was not uncommon when it sits for awhile and to basically not worry > about it. It hurts my ears, though, and I have to wonder if its not so > good for the engine. > If anyone else has comments about this, WE would appreciate hearing them. > > Kathy > > >The 2.1l in my 87 syncro has a noisy lifter. When the vehicle sits for a few > >days (I drive it about every 3 days or so) the lifter ticks for a couple of > >minutes and then quiets down. Today the lifter ticked loudly until the oil > >got up to operating temperature (~180F), then it quieted down like always. > >I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic15W50 oil (and have been for over a year now). > > > >What should/can I do about this? > > > >Mark McCulley > >87 syncro Westfalia