Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 1997 21:28:07 -0400
From:         "Kenneth W. Wyatt" <whyknot@compuserve.com>
Subject:      82 gas tank full of crud, anybody steam clean theirs?

Hi Vanagonauts,

I switched out my gas tank when I first bought my vanagon 3 years ago because its tank was rusted through on top. It flowed gas during fillups. It has been fine since then.

During the last year I have had to change gas filters 3 times. So today I cruised around trying to run out of gas. I then pulled the tank fearing the worst, thinking my replacement tank was already rusted through like its predecessor. I have that job down to about an hour now. I am happy to report that the exterior is intact.

Examination of the inside of the tank showed very little rust. I am thinking that since this tank had sat in a junkyard that all the rust and dirt and crap had settled the bottom. It was from a DEISEL which could explain the crud in the bottom. The guy at the junkyard said to just filler up the first time you use it, then change your filter .

Looking inside, there appears to be an area in the bottom of the tank which is isolated from the main tank. Kind of a quiet area from which fuel is drawn. If you look under your vanagon, you will see it in the center of your tank. A circular area which is lower than the bottom of the tank. This is where all of the sediment has accumulated. This was verified when the last few ounces came out during removal, it was a dark brown red color, full of chunky debris. The rest of the inside of the tank looked pretty good.

Does any one have an effective way of cleaning this lower bottom area? I think it is surronded by baffles and probably hard to get at even with a steam cleaner. Does any one know the anatomy of the gas tank inside? Will high pressure cleaning it through the gas lines work? I am thinking a radiator shop might help. Any help or ideas welcome. Thanks. Ken Wyatt 82 westy