Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 02 May 1997 09:57:29 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <katsuki@bbn.com>
Subject:      90 Westfalia handling

As I dive into making our new and wonderful '90 Westfalia even more wonderful, one area stands out in need of more wonderfulness, namely its handling. It sort of handles like, well, maybe a plate of mashed potatoes. This is a big contrast to our 87 Wolfsburg, which handles very well indeed, even with a loose upper control arm bushing.

I've got new shocks and sway bar rubber bits, and steering rack mounting bushings on order, but the old ones are not noticably bad. Tire pressures are right, same tires front and rear. Sway bar is 21 mm dia (supposed to be the right dia, according to the guy at the local dealer.) Milage is low (76,000). Tires are Michelin MXLs (205s). Pressures are 30lb front, 40lb rear

So some questions:

Should I just expect that Westy's are mushy handling? I expect that with the added weight of a camper, and lots of it in the top, handling will be worse than a straight van, but much worse? Can one of you with both a late regular vanagon and a Westy describe the handling comparison?

Does anyone know the diameter of their late Westy sway bar?

Has anyone put a larger diamerter bar in?

Also - the Westy seems to sit about 2" higher (wheel to bottom of wheel well) than our 87 Wolfsburg (which might have more settled springs, since it has 147,000 miles on it)

Did the late Westy's get the lowered suspension that other late vans have? I can imagine that they might have kept it high to get more ground clearance under the propane tank.

Dave

87 Wolfsburg 90 Westfalia