Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 1997 12:04:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JCSYNCRO@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Vanaru / Subagon XT6...2.5L&2.2L

Good info Jim, but last time I asked Mr. Kennedy about the 2.5L Subaru, he said the 2.2L was still a better choice due to the power band and RPM range.... I guess it's power band matches the Vanagon Tranny perfectly.

Beware, the Westie may suffer a mod to the bed and unless you are fairly clever with cutting and welding the oil pan, you may suffer the loss of a little ground clearance.

I'm still looking at the possibility because I can get a low mileage Subaru 2.2L for $700 to $1,100 with all the electronic stuff that goes with it. However, having a Syncro Westie, I have not been able to get all the info I need about how the Kennedy kit will translate to the Syncro. I want to keep the ground clearance, the AC, the snorkle style air intake and I still like the lower bed better than the upper one.

The exhaust is another question. Kennedy makes one to fit the Vanagon, but I'm not sure how it fits my need for original ground clearance.

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Southern California to find out by letting them make all the measurements and comparisons..... Or, if someone from SO. California wouldn't mind drivng theirs over to Kennedy??? It seems they have not had the chance to really compare the Syncro to the Vanagon.

Anyway, I love the Syncro and the Westphalia design, but after spending almost $700 to go through just the fuel injection system, (and it's still not right) I don't feel much loyalty toward the engine.

Curt Long Thailand.... Soon to be back in Washington State!!!