Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 1997 12:49:20 -0700
From:         bc@pixar.com
Subject:      Re: Water in headlights

> Has anyone ever tried placing the headlights in the oven (at low temp) to > bake out the moisture?

The headlights themselves? I'm not sure this is possible; if there was moisture inside the lamp, well, it wouldn't last too long.

I note you have a square-headlight '88; I haven't heard of any general moisture problem inside the lamp housing, but suspect it would evaporate pretty quickly when the lamp itself is turned on.

Or the lamp housing in general? I've had moisture accumulate in the right-rear tail lamp housing after extended exposure to rain conditions; once I'm back home, I bring the housing inside and let it sit atop my monitor for a couple of hours. Nice and warm, and no worries about melting anything... on the other hand, I worry about drip-zap'ing my monitor :-)

Haven't been able to figure out how the water is getting in there, tho; The seal looks good and there are no cracks.

-- Bill Carson / bc@pixar.com / '83.5 westy / The Wild White Whale / Richmond, CA