Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 1997 18:04:25 -0700
From:         am1973@monika.ds.boeing.com (Andrew Mera)
Subject:      Re: consumer reports

I'm having trouble finding the start of this thread: was Erik Peterson on 9.may replying to somebody? was he referring to some Consumer Reports evaluation of VW's? I need to put in my 2 cents worth on my disappointment with what comes out of many consumer reports (CR, CD, etc):

- as with opinion polls, interviews, surveys, courtroom dramas, the questions can very much influence the answer; i.e. the answer could be different had the question been asked differently

- whether the above is bias or not could be evaluated by comparing different evaluations by organizations with different motivations; for example how Canadians or Australians evaluate various car models

- another way to hide your bias is to exclude a certain set from your evaluation

The point I am trying to make is that, in the case of cars the few times I looked at "independent" US evaluations, I personally disagreed with the way they favored US models at the expense of Japanese and European ones. Years ago I read an evaluation of cars in France: they made a big thing out of enough headroom for a fashionable Parisian lady to drive with her hat on.