Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 May 97 13:28:35 UT
From:         "Thomas Niksch" <cct_tom_niksch@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: Buying VW overseas?!?!

---------- Von: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu im Auftrag von Erlaz@aol.com Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Mai 1997 07:38 An: Multiple recipients of list Betreff: Buying VW overseas?!?!

I have a brother-in-law in Switzerland wanting to pick up a military VW bus or a VW bus to do some traveling in. He is hoping to bring it home with him when they return stateside in the winter. I was hoping that all of these wonderfully knowledgeable people on the list may have some suggestions that I can send to him.

1) How to obtain one --- Shouldn't be a real problem to get some VW Bus in Europe anyway. What you should consider is that especially in Austria and Switzerland winter is real snowy and you may bring a lot of rust to the States.

Military: In germany there is an organisation that sells ex-military and ex public-service vehicles . As sometimes you are not even allowed to start the engine neiter then to test the car on the road, you may end up in trouble. Most are bought by specialized dealers who do some repairs and than sell again.

You may get a mil.vehicle that has made only 10,000 km in ten years, the other time beeing stored somewhere. But: Thinking about my own time in mil. service and my "career" as a driver I wouldn't give a "dime" for most of the mil. vehicles at all ... --- 2) Where to obtain one

--- Every major newspaper has private and commercial ads for VW Transporters --- and 3) What to know to be able to transport it back stateside? --- The more interesting is probably the Tax, duty, exhaust check, registration stuff --- Peace, love and volkswagons....Christine

Bye from Munich, Germany

Tom N.