Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 May 1997 16:46:16 -0500
From:         Bruce.B.Wood@hanover.valley.net (Bruce Wood)
Subject:      '84 leaking oil

I know less than nothing about matters automotive but still love my Westy (1984, 71,000 original miles), an incendiary combination unless you happen to be rich (which I'm not). Anyway, I've been reading this list and trying to learn and I think I'm in trouble . . .

My '84 came out of storage and made a quick visit to our local mechanic for inspection, oil change and the annual "See anything we should be worried about?"

Well, we took it out over the weekend and found that we are leaking oil. Three hours after running we have a stain the size of a basketball on our driveway. A cursory look at the engine doesn't show anything for someone who doesn't know what he is looking for. Underneath it seems there's oil on all kinds of things.

I guess I'm going to call my mechanic and make an appointment. It sure would be helpful to have a little clue before I do. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Bruce