Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 1997 00:10:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:         cb541@cleveland.freenet.edu (James R. Gilbert)
Subject:      Replacing wheel bearings

(I don't have a quoting reader, at the moment, this is a followup.) I caught the tail end of a 'removing bearings' tread. The one msg. I read was about welding a bead to the race. I don't get into welding, that's for real mechanics, I'm a 'driver', a poor driver who does what I can. I had the rear bearings replaced on my '87 gl by a mechanic. I didn't have anything that'll handle 350 ft/lbs for the main big nut that holds the rear wheel assembly on and was afraid of that much torque. I did replace the front bearings. Bentley says use a copper dink (can't remember the word Bentley used). A copper chisel essentially. I used a copper bar I had around that was actually an electrical connector. I banged the bearings out using this copper bar and banged the new ones back in. I don't know about this welding stuff. I worried about whether I fully seated the new bearings in the rotor, but after about 20k miles, I'm pretty sure I did. Russ Gilbert

'87 Wolfsburg Latest update: We're going (about 10,000 mile trip), me wife daughter, son, three grandchildren. Coleman camper is here. Added an 'auxillary battery', the battery I put on the camper. Added a charging wire from alternator, with fuse, goes to camper wiring harness. Now doing busted exhaust pipe. I knew I put the manifold, muffler and tailpipe on wrong, there was tension on that exhaust pipe, never leave tension on a pipe in the exhaust system. A lot to do to get ready.