Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 1997 09:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      New Van List Home, PLEASE READ !

Here is an update on the vanagon list.

It is going to remain a ListServ group, vanagon.

It will be hosted from the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC). For those of you unfamiliar with SDSC, it is one of four national (that is federally supported) centers for computational science and engineering. A sister center, NCSA, developed the Mosaic web broswer several years back.

SDSC will provide our internet connection, but the group will need to purchase a server (computer) and ListServ software. This will provide us with a lot of management flexibility, and potential to do some interesting things later on. We are also working on acquiring a donated machine. If this works out, funds will be used to purchase parts necessary to update this machine (hardware/OS), and of course the proper version of the ListServ software.

So here's how it's supposed to work:

Ron Lussier will collect funds and order our server/software.

The server/software will sent to Chris Smith at SDSC for installation and configuration.

The group will subsequently be managed by Ron Lussier (LikeMinds) and Chris Smith (SDSC).

We're asking for donations of $3-5, though larger donations are welcome. If we receive more than the required amount of money, the extra funds will be spent on memory and disk space.

Please send vanagon funds, c/o Ron Lussier at:

Vanagon c/o Ron Lussier 10164 Parkwood Drive #8 Cupertino, CA 95014-1533 USA

We realize that our members outside the U.S. of A. are very willing to contribute to this effort. (We've gotten dozens of offers from across the various ponds!) Unfortunately, the hassle of managing foreign funds makes this impractical. Thanks anyhow!

Ron, Chris, & Gerry

-- /\_/\ ____ Ron 'Coyote' Lussier ( ) \ _/__ LikeMinds (408) 865-0657 \ / \X / "Tools that Help People Decide" coyote@likeminds.com \_/ \/ http://www.likeminds.com/

-- Christopher M. Smith San Diego Supercomputer Center (619) 534-8370 csmith@sdsc.edu