Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 1997 20:58:32 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      '85 FOR SALE, PARTS or WHOLE

I'm considering selling the '85, I will sell it whole or I will part it, I'm tired of the damn thing basically it is cursed. The body is quite straight and in fair condition (minor seam rust) as it was rustproofed, but every damn thing attached to it, brakes, tranny, suspension bits, are severely corroded in order to combat the fair condition of the body. It was cursed for the last owner as well the following sums up his investment in the beast, I have receipts for all of these repairs. 82k miles currently. The main reason is I just bought the '90 and have no real use for this damn thing.

Power Steering Rack 04/26/91 $841.11 O2 sensor, muffler, flush brakes, 06/19/91 $412.79 flush cooling system Water Pump, Thermostat, and 11/15/93 $473.06 housing. NOW THE BIG ONE 02/25/94 $2,238.91 2 new VW heads, gasket kit, all new pushrod tubes, clutch, pressure plate, to bearing, front exhasut pipe AGAIN?? (different shop though) (Hell, they even wrote ThanK You on the receipt) New Micro Switches on TB 08/10/94 $179.41

And others for regular coolant, oil changes, etc. all summing a total of $5,809.09 in service between '91 and '96.

I have added new front to rear coolant pipes,new P/S pipes, new Dansk exhaust, one front spindle, new front rotors, and more to the tune of about $1000.

I'd prefer to part it frankly, engine is very solid, good compression, good oil pressure, heads done as indicated.

I'd like $1500 for the longblock (with exhaust pipes, clutch) $200 for all the FI bits $275 for the tranny (case is rather corroded, works well, 1st whines barely perceptibly, Parts Place wants $500) $200 for the P/S rack (can't keep for the '90 this one is using ATF, '90 uses Pentosin) $200 interior (blue velour weekender interior, no rips, fairly clean) $100 each entire front door assembly locks glass etc.

all other bits and pieces priced upon request. I'd rather part it as I need the windshield and some of the body panels, plus although it is a solid running vehicle something is always about to go on it it seems. It has been down for me as much as it has been up for one reason or another.

$2500 firm would take the entire van however, there are much worse on the road every day.

Nothing is gauranteed, this has been a frank representation of it's condition, anything on this beast could drop dead tomorrow. The PO was second owner since '90 and cared well for it, I have done the same. If I can get takers for the major components I will part it immediately, obviously most of the major bits will be prohibitive to ship so I'm selling primarily to east coast, and central atlantic takers here. I'm 2.5 hours form Baltimore, DC, Pittsburg, Lexington KY, etc. I will however palletize and ship the bigger stuff, working some deal on the shipping if requested.

John vwbus@netbiz.net