Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 1997 22:40:20 -0500
From:         Gilbert Landin <gilbert@mindgame.com>
Subject:      transmission woes (continued)

ok, earlier I reported that I was having a synch gear problem with "money pit" 89'westie . My transmission came in fron Transform in Calif. earlier than expected. You can imagine my excitment..it came in two boxes. One big and heavy (90lbs) and a 4"x4" 4foot long box..It was christmas in May...I also found another mechanic that actually owned a vanagon, it is his wifes and he maintains it for her. This was excellent news to the one of only 4 vanagon owners on the list for a 350 mile radius. But as you can imagine the downside is.. he took a look at my transmission care package and nodded "The repair manual says 12 hours to change out a transmission" "This one has to be put in with the modifications, the 4 foot piece is the linkage that replaces the one UNDER the gas tank, it takes a WHOLE day remove the gas tank" I reeled in horror as "money pit" looked on "You didnt get the rubber boots either, I can use your old ones but that would be dumb might as well replace those since it will be awhile before you come this way again" OK my inner self was trying to remain calm I recited the "why I want a vw mantra" "Do you know what causes a synchro gear to go out in the first place?" he said. I gave him my " I have read the FAQ look and then said no. "Among other things, slop in the shifter assemblies and worn shifter bushings" "I'll tell you what bring the van in Monday and Ill check it out for myself. Im funny this way.. I like to do my own diagnostics and come to my own conclusions." Funny I sais I am Computer Tech and I am funny that same way... So I left his shop with mixed feelings he said not to send the trans back yet. BUt I can see how much work I could have saved if I had got an exact replacement. The retrofits might work better than the original but dang the extra labor charge to install this will eat me up....the saga will continue monday...

gilbert 89 westie "money pit" (not the vans fault, the owner did not ask enough questions)