Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 May 1997 14:34:57 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>
Subject:      Enlarged closet; melted my A/C system!

Last year I enlarged my rear closet in my Westfalia by extending it down to the level of the rear decklid and also by reducing the amount of space used by the A/C system and controls that travel up the side of the vehicle back in there.

Then, the next time I used the A/C the big red wire that feeds the 50 amp fusebox overheated, melted, and blew that fuse there.

It has now occurred to me that perhaps VW designed that rear closet on purpose the way it is now so that the rear A/C area is ventilated, by air that travels underneath the closet and then up along the edge of the vehicle behind the closet, near the A/C stuff, and out the top.

In this case, I have blocked off all ventilation and the overheating will again happen to me this summer.

I am considering adding ventilation for the A/C area toward the rear of the closet, by putting a little vent in there, but not sure if I should go to the trouble.

Does anybody have the opinion that these A/C lines/relays need to be ventilated?

I believe that only the very late model Westfalias had the A/C stuff back in the rear of this closet, and that earlier Vanagons had this stuff in a different location.

____________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.anet-dfw.com/~ddes/vw/drew/index.html