Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 May 1997 10:21:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@oit.umass.edu>
Subject:      Re: very poor recall work (long)

Randy -

Again the gas line leak appears! There has been some discussion on this on the list in the past - but I will repeat as it seems relevant.

I have owned 3 Westies and ALL have had this problem. The first was an '80 that sprung the leak in about '89-'90. Cost me about $150 for parts and labor. My first '91 sprung the leak shortly after I bought it in '95 - it had only 10k miles and had not been driven much. I just bought another '91 with 28k miles. I asked the dealer to check for the possibility of this leak - he did and he fixed it prior to the sale so I didn't have to pay for it the third time round.

Cost: the first repair in '89 was done at an "independent" foreign car shop and they charged me $150 parts and labor (they even charged for refilling the tank - after they had drained it!). The second was done at my VW dealership (the usually high priced guys) and they charged $125 in '95. As I recall the parts are about $32+. The major cost is dropping the tank to reach all the cross over pipes and hoses.

This does seem to be a reoccuring problem as the hoses get "tired". You can postpone the repair by not filling your tank completely, as this is in the overflow system. But I like to run with a full tank on a trip - and I don't like the smell of gas if I goof!

Did your guys cause it . . . I would guess not, but its too bad they didn't notice that the hoses/fittings were brittle and about to go when they were in the area. I would rather have them tell me "this is about to go and since we have the tank dropped already, it will cost you $35 for the parts and almost no labot to fix it now" then to put it back and have it go after. Probably was about to happen anyway - on that they are right!

Randy wrote (edited down): > > Well, today I picked up the Van from the dealer today, about a month ago, > they performed the recall on my 86 GL, (replaced fuel tank, idol > controller, ect. and re-attached the AC vents to the roof).

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Assistant Director Human Dimensions of Resource Management Office of Information Technologies Department of Forestry & Help Desk Services Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203