Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 01 May 1997 08:19:55 -0600
From:         Jay Fitzgerald <jayfitz@micron.net>
Subject:      Dometic fridge update- my .02

Hi all, Here's the latest on my on going path to Dometic discovery. Following Derek Drew's excellent archives article, I installed a $15 Radio Shack thermometer(w/remote sensor)and a tiny 12v. fan in my fridge. I opted to mount the micro-mini toggle switch for the fan to the right of the gas on/off control. Actually, I drilled directly through the center of the Dometic emblem(a small satisfaction)and clipped the length of the switch to a nub. This is important due to fridge door clearance when closed! The wiring runs along the inside top right corner of the fridge and then out underneath the top hinge of the door. It looks very clean and the emblem hides the switch pretty well. A tip- test the thermometer you buy BEFOFE installing. Mine was on the "celsius" setting and gave me heart palapitations after I had meticulously finished running all the wires. One more tip on lighting the thing, run it on either 12 or 120v for a bit, then(while on knees, pray) try lighting it AT NIGHT. This lets me see through the site glass when it fires. I think the flame can get blown out by continually clicking/pumping the peizo. Anyway, thanks for all the gems you've passed on to me. Jay jayfitz@micron.net '87 Syncro camper 80k (ergonomically perfect, even if underpowered) '73 westy "Nectarina"(waits patiently in Mexico for me to take take her to the beach) '90 Subaru Legacy wagon (an awesome AWD mountain town tool) '74 3.0 CS (best body design ever) '68 Surburban Classic (trailhead behemoth) '94 1/4 HP Sears weedwacker (garaged)