Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 1997 15:10:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JVRDesign@aol.com
Subject:      Thanks All! Bought the'86 w/36K & sunroof in Seattle

Volks,

We joined this list about a month ago (at chris' suggestion) in search of a Vanagon GL. We own a '84 GL and wanted to buy a newer one. We were having very little luck with the want ads in our area. We received a lot of info from listees on 90-91 GLs and finally decided to buy the '86 GL with the sunroof in Seattle. Jeffry Olson posted this ad a few weeks ago and we responded immediately. We spent two weeks working out the details.

Thanks to all who helped us: Jeffry Olson (for his original posting), Rob Lebo (for his "bound volume" history), Kelly Bauman, Chris, Chet Douglas, Chuck Ankeny, Brian Kraft, Jon Hathaway, Ken Lewis, joel (for his 2 long letters), John (vwbus), chris (JordanView) for his input and patience with my limited computer skills, Don Gibbons, Rick (will send you th AC info this weekend), John Nyquist (who writes a very funny letter), and Roy Mathers for his many EMails back and forth and especially for his ability to unearth the impossible: a RELIABLE DUAL SYSTEM AC for a '86 Vanagon with a sunroof!!!!!!!!!! When I have time I will share the info on the AC system. The van belonged to a 91 year old man who had owned 13 vw vans in his lifetime. He walked to the grocery store and drove it once a week. His daughter's friend described him as a "German car nut" who was so concerned about it's upkeep that he used to crawl under the car with the mechanic to be sure the work was being done properly. It's been garaged, no dents, not a speck of rust, with covers on the front seats. My brother went out and drove it for us and said that the transmission is tight as a drum. We've developed a wonderful relationship with the family over the phone and feel more like we are adopting a kid than buying a car. It's really our dream-come-true and we have the members of this list to thank for it. We need a good name for it (preferably a German one). It's metallic silver. Any suggestions? We will also be putting Clyde (our '84 GL) out to pasture before too long, but will post that information at a later date. In closing I'd like to say that we will probably stay on this list for a while. When I first began reading the listings, I felt like I was looking in on a close-knit family of individuals who are generous with their time, really care about one another, are warm, funny, and have excellent writing skills. Many subjects I read just for their entertainment value, and invariably save them to share with the kids and Drew later. Thanks to all for this great service,

Warmly, Janet and Drew, Ramona and Joseph Van Riper '84 GL "Clyde" 220K Virginia