Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 May 1997 16:58:38 GMT
From:         bhkraft@gj.net (Brian Kraft)
Subject:      Re: Mountain driving

Harold Longley (htg@cray.com) wrote on Fri, 16 May 1997:

>Mountain drivers, > >How well will an 87 Vanagon handle mountain driving? I live in Minnesota >and am planning a dinosaur fossil hunting trip where the tricky part is >west on Interstate 70 through Colorado across the Great Divide, through >Grand Junction, CO, visiting Dinosaur National Monument in Utah/Colorado, >and returning east across the Great Divide via Interstate 80. The trip >will be in June. BTW, I'm not planning any off-road driving :^)

On westbound I-70 through Colorado, you will encounter two uphill grades where a Vanagon driver might have to downshift to second gear. One is just west of Georgetown, and the other is at the final approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel. At this altitude, you'll notice a loss of power. It's common practice for truckers with full loads and other drivers with low power to weight ratios to turn on their emergency flashers if their speeds drop below about 35 MPH. I asked a Colorado State Patrol officer if it's illegal to drive with emergency flashers on in such situations and he said no, it's a good idea to do it. In Utah, road signs request slow drivers to turn on their emergency flashers on certain steep grades. However, it's illegal to drive on the right shoulder so don't do that even in second gear. The continental divide on I-80 in Wyoming is hardly noticeable, it's almost flat.

At Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, I don't recommend driving down to Echo Park at the bottom of the canyon without a 4WD vehicle, it's pretty steep. After Dinosaur, you might want to go a little further west to Flaming Gorge Nat'l Recreation Area.

Summer is road repaving season in Colorado and Utah. When you see a construction zone and flag person, slow down or you'll be ticketed.

The weather's going to be hot over most of your planned route. If you encounter violent thunderstorms or hailstorms pull off of the road and wait, don't try to drive on those marbles.

Have the cooling system pressure tested for leaks and have hose connections tightened. Your radiator fan will turn on a lot, if the bearings are noisy you should probably replace it. Old, worn tires? Better buy new ones. Lately, I carry two spare tires instead of one. All of my Michelin MXL's have low tread, and I lost one via blowout last month; the tire was old and it just got too hot.

Oh yes, in the Rocky Mountains in June, inquire locally about TICKS before hiking!

I'm off to southern Utah. -- Brian Kraft <bhkraft@gj.net> Grand Junction, Colorado '86 Westy GL Syncro -- Heidelberg Cassette Radio for sale, US$75 http://www.gj.net/~bhkraft/vw-radio.jpg