Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         16 May 1997 16:57:36 -0600
From:         "Carl Hansen" <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      re 12 volt coolers

BatSubject: re 12 volt coolers 5/16/97 2:59 PM Hi, glad to forward my humble opinion.

My dad has one, I have one, my brother wishes he had one.

Dad has used his extensivley, for several years now. Loves it. Very trick way to keep food fresh. OK, you can't freeze stuff, but so what.

Actually, you maybe could freeze stuf, they typically cool 40 degrees to 44 degrees below ambient, so if air is 40, does that mean it's 0 inside cooler. I havn't tried this, and certainly have not seen freezing in mine even though I use it in the winter.

I have a newer one than dad has. I recommend you look for the newer technology one, you can tell because the box should say that it cools to 44 degrees below ambient. Also check the box for cubic foot capacity. At least one I've seen is a bit smaller (cubic feet capacity) than the others, and still comes in the same size packing box, and costs the same. I saw a short artical on the technology for the newer one in a Design News about a year ago. Looks like improvements in operation of the peltier junction. 4 derees doesn't sound like much, but it is 10% improvement, and if it keeps the milk from spoiling......

Sorry I can't list brands, as I sit here, I don't recall what I have. I bought mine at Fleet Farm here in the Twin Cities. (Burnsville actually) I am not aware of any clinkers.

Ch '89 Syncro