Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 1997 15:39:55 -0400
From:         kelphoto@mail.bright.net (mark keller)
Subject:      Handling differences of Camper/Van

Well, I read the note about handling and swaybars etc for the new camper owner. A couple of things occured to me that can shed some light on the differencs. I'm kinda rusty on this, its from my aviation days, but here goes.

Motor vehicles have a few things which affect the cornering or broadly speaking handling on the road. Where to start? Well polar axis is where the van actually pivots when cornering, around the rear wheels, kinda like a shopping cart.

Center of gravity is both a horiztal and vertical location, kinda of an x axis, y axis thing. Imagine if you were to " horizontally spin" a van around its Center of gravity. I submit that a van's spin axis would be closer to the polar axis, since compared to a camper the weight distrubtion is more to rear. The spin axis of camper would be much farther foward of the polar axis since nearly all of the added weight is forward of the polar axis.

Using a shopping cart for example, the more weight you add to the nose of it, milk,meat,canned pop, and etc, the harder you have to work to turn the thing. Contrawise if you were to place these items in the back, on top to the polar axis you could "turn the same weight" with much less effort. Ok now to the tires.

Since it's the front tires that must generarte the force, to turn the van, sidewall construction, and centrical force interplay to do the job. Micheliens, as rule have the most flexiable sidewalls of all tire brands, that's why I love em. They ride great!! However a cost is involved, at slower speeds the sidewalls aren't that ridged and the "handling is kinda mushy. But, cleverly, Michelien's have most of their weight at the outer circumferance in the tread and hence are able to generate great centrifical force at high speeds, which in turn makes the tire very rigid , but absorb bumps and stuff very well.

There's more to say about the height change in the vertical location the Cg between the two vehicles but I've got to get back to the salt mine, more later. MK

PS email me any questions in the meantime I'll try to clarify or own up to my mistakes.