Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 May 1997 08:44:36 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      <syncro>  parts needed/misc

Hi folks,

I _need_ a difflock switch+knob from the dash panel, in fact I'd take the whole panel as a spare. Anyone got/seen one cheap? My front locker is set up to come on with the rear one presently. Not really desirable for steering. Also would like a spare vacumm box for the diff, the one that I have is now epoxied together.

I _really_ need a dead viscous coupler for dissassembly/autopsy... the rebuild plan is not going any further until I get one! I don't know if VW gives a corecharge on these or if they are throwaways. I'll cover postage, they are heavy. It does look like mine has been rebuilt BTW. The units are balanced with welded on weights, and mine shows some old welding scars from past weights being removed.

FYI, the Audi power door locks work via vacuum servos, but they are only single sided. Audi has an air pump that must reverse to push/pull. The vac hose is suitable salvage, pull it out from the trunk latch, gives 2 x 4' lengths and nice spare rubber hose bits too. Perhaps the entire Audi system (pump+servos) would do in a pinch.

I've built one trailer hitch for a friends '89 Syncro Westy with the plastic bumpers. PITA compared to the steel ones. It goes straight through the bumper at midline, a slot like below about 1" high by 6" wide is needed. Get the jigsaw!

Doing a drop hitch under bumper would've meant cutting larger chunk off bottom lip/curve. It is a detachable flat bar type, sticks out about 2.5" but has nice Reese cover over it when bar is out. Working on a 3500lb 2" drawbar for myself now, again straight out the mid bumper to preserve departure angle. Those who asked for hitches, please be patient, I'm still 'experimenting' at my expense :(. I still have your e-mails. Thule hitch mount bike racks are avail to fit flat bar, 1.25" and 2" square receivers. My preference is for the lower profile flat bar type, limited to about 2000 lb. trailers (ie. plenty). 1.25" goes to 3500lbs BTW.

bye, Tim

PS: reply direct if wanted, I'm reading via Skips page, not the list.