Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 May 97 23:31:17 EDT
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: Long Life Motors part 2 the nitty gritty

>So, for me, road horsepower is the main statistic that describes what the >vehicle is doing in the real world.

The "road hp" for the vanagon is, if I remember an early test article correctly, about 30hp at 60mph. At a fairly low speed like this tire friction is a major part of this (10-15 hp), and the easist way of increasing mpg, passing power, and all the other things you mention is to get a tire with lower rolling resistance. Note that rolling resistance can vary by a factor of 2 between different tires!

Unfortunately manufacturers don't publish rolling resistance numbers. As you observe, the general public couldn't care less. Big fat tires is the fashion and to h*ll with fuel economy, CO2 emissons, snow and wet traction and many other things...

So how to find rolling resistance? What one want's is the requered force to pull 1000 kg. (and then just multiply with the vehicle weight). I don't know anybody that publishes this for different tires. Consumer Reports publishes some relative data. In their roughly annual tire test they compare how far different tires roll when put on an identical car.

>More importantly some engine can produce 50 hp very economically, but not >produce anymore than a total of 100 hp. Typically engines that produce two >hundred horsepower, will be gas hogs at producing 50hp.

Throttled spark ignition (gas) engines typically have a fairly narrow rpm range around peak torque where they are the most efficient. Compression ignition (diesel) engines don't have throttling losses at all, and are both more efficient in general (around 35% compared to 25% for a gas engine) and retains this efficiency over a wider rpm and load range.

/Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.rochester.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.chalmers.se University of Rochester

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------