Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 May 1997 21:33:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Garrick409@aol.com
Subject:      More on AVP

Hi All,

There have been several posts recently on AVP from other shops, etc. I thought I'd post my recent dealings with them as an individual since I live nearby and dealt face to face rather than by phone, etc.

Had my engine from my 84 pulled a couple of weeks ago as I was planning to redo the heads. Made the mistake of pulling the jugs off with the heads and didn't really want to deal with the wrist pins and rings. I went AVP before removing the engine as I was thinking about buying my heads rebuilt from them. Leonard took about an hour and showed me around the shop and what they do to the heads. As a layman, their operation seems 1st rate and I learned a lot about the waterboxer during my visit. Since the engine was out of the van, I decided to take the whole thing in to AVP and let them rebuild the top end.

We pulled the connecting rod bearings and they all looked OK so I decided to proceed with mainly replacing the heads. They also replaced the connecting rod bearings, piston rings, polished the pistons, front and rear seals, pilot bearing. Leonard also rebuilt the lifters too for nothing. Finally my engine got bench tested and everything checked out nicely. Oil pressure 68 and compression 180-180-180-185.

The whole thing cost about $900 including the rebuilt heads. It would have cost me about $600 doing it myself just replacing the heads so I feel it was money well spent. I have much more confidence in the engine since it was done professionally and tested too. They promised me the engine in 2 days and it was done right on time. Overall it was a very positive experience. Erin and Leonard were very helpful and I would have no hesitation buying a motor from them in the future. The engine runs great too and no more fluctuating coolant levels!!!!

Garrick Chang 84 Westy