Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 26 Jun 1997 21:47:18 -0800
From:   dfuller@jeeves.ucsd.edu
Subject:   Auto Trans Maintenance?

Scott,

That's pretty much the drill for changing transmission fluid, the pipe has a big flare nut on it and when it's completely loose, you may have to grab the pipe and shake hard, the fitting tends to stick in the hole. The filter screen is behind an odd shaped plate held on with screws...also, more oil will come out when you remove the plate, so be prepared. I usually wash the filter screen, plate, and pan with paint thinner, then blow dry with compressed air. The pan will probably have a layer of microfine black "dust", actually metal particles from normal wear... not to worry unless they're silver/shiny and big enough to see individually with the naked eye. I keep a small magnet in the bottom of my pan to keep as much gunk off the filter as I can.

I look carefully at the pan gasket, if it's still pliable and not cracked, I reuse it. VW charges a lot for them, they don't need any donations unnecessarily. If you start seeing red puddles under your van in the morning, maybe you need a new one. Careful with the pan bolts, that's aluminum they screw into. Consider lock washers.

Checking the final drive oil is fairly easy. There is a plug in the side (big hex key, 17mm?) take it out, oil should be to the level of the bottom of the hole with the van level. Easy if you're skinny, I'm not, so I jack up the van on the side of the hole, dump in the gear oil till it leaks out, then drop the van back level with a drain pan underneath, let it drip, then jack it back up and put in the plug.

Oh yeah, keep everything clean as you can. I rebuilt my transmission in my garage, was careful, and still pulled a handful of dog fur off the strainer after the first oil change.

Dan Fuller '90 Carat