Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         27 Jun 1997 06:53:05 U
From:         "Baumann.MikeF" <baumann#d#mikef@ssdgwy.mdc.com>
Subject:      RE: 80 - 83? GAS TANK REPAIRS [longish

Greetings Friends, Regarding Ken Wyatt's comments on gas tanks :

Repairing Tanks : > I first went to a radiator shop to see about repair. > They could do it butsaid no guarantee, it could last > 30 days or a year. =

VW : I just put in a new one, But on my boat (1972 Islander 30) I had to replace a tank, buying a stock size, and getting a stainless steel fabricator (did industrial and marine stuff) to weld in mods. ($60 I think) Gas is serious stuff, I can see the "no guarentee". Either have a welder do it, then pressure test it yourself, or go to a marine welder. Marine fabricators do custom gas tanks all the time.

Price of Fuel Line Hose : > When they said is was $10.14 per foot ( not 1.014 but 10.14) > all I could do was burst out laughing. SO I BENT OVER AND > BOUGHT 2 feet. 20 bucks for 2 feet of fuel line, sheesh!!!!!

Not a VW only thing. Again, boat experience. I replaced all my lines in the old boat. The larger diameter fill and exhaust lines ran $12 and $16 a foot at "West Marine" (the super Pep Boys of boat hardware). These gas lines do have a lot heavier construction, are chemically resistant, and most importantly are tested and certified to USCG standards. (Plus we are all probably paying Liability lawyers a ton of $ per foot because they are guarenteed for use with gasoline.) Price is for once reasonable compared to the open market. Damn those lawyers!

Peace, Mike 90' Westy <baumann#d#mikef@ssdgwy.mdc.com>