Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:54:46 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Re: Lumberyard carb conversion

> Don't fiddle with a half-baked solution. Chuck the duals (apologies > to anyone named Charles) and buy a Weber progressive conversion kit. > Consists of a complete manifold set (two pair of runners, center > plenum, hardware) and a dual stage progressive carb. The carb is > usually "spec'ed" to the application by the importer/seller, but > better check.

This is especially good advice if you live in a wet or humid area, because it makes you part of the large group that spends their time discussing their carb ice problems. Gives you more of a comraderie and gets you closer to the true and mystical hobby of Volkswagen fiddling.

I have yet to see one of these setups that addresses the very real problems of carb ice and everyday driving. Carb ice typically shows up on cool, wet, rainy nights. When you *least* want to be playing with your car. The duals generally have no problems since they sit right on top of the hot heads, and there are no bends in the intake stream.

So if you want to join the VW hobby, go ahead. If you want a cool ride for sunny warm California days, go ahead. If you are taking this to the track for best time in a bus, go ahead. If driving on muggy midwest rainy nights, and lying under your bus trying to figure out why it drove so well this afternoon to the lake, and why it won't drive you home appeals to the macho guy in you, spend your money!

If not, then figure out what is wrong with your stock system. VW managed to get single carbs to work on these with exhaust-heated intakes, and the requisite fitting on the exhaust pipes, and hot air intake. Maybe you can too. They never did this on the typeIV. I wonder why?

You can go to dual Webers or Dells, and still not have carb ice problems. And if you have a single carb aftermarket setup, and have experienced carb icing, and have found good solutions, I'd love to hear (although I personally have no interest in ever changing to something like this regardless). If you have a single carb and have not yet experienced carb icing, don't be fooled into thinking it does not happen. It will. These things are definately fair-weather friends.

malcolm