Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jun 1997 10:12:32 -0400
From:         "David I. Tanzer" <dtanzer@compuserve.com>
Subject:      RE: Help from Mexico!

Thanks so much for your help. Another of our compatriots, Joel Walker, w= as kind enough to check the parts fiche and, apparently, the glass and flang= e are shown as separate pieces, but come as a unit (they have only one part=

number). I guess I'll wait to see how this comes. If the flange comes unattached to the window, perhaps I can set it into place (with a bead of=

silicone cement in it), and then fit the window into place. If it is attached, then perhaps there's still enough clearance to do this with the=

flange in place (pushing the window against the weather-stripping in the top of the window track, first). The third option, of course, is to take=

the whole thing out of the door. Not something that's terribly desirable= , but, again, Joel was kind enough to explain this process, and it doesn't sound too bad. A length of parachute cord and some WD-40 ought to make this process a bit easier.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress! And, once again, thanks for you= r help. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

David

---------- >From: Tony-Ray Perkins Sent: Sunday, June 08, 1997 7:09 AM To: dtanzer Subject: Re: !Help from Mixico!

Sender: dad@together.net Received: from mx02.together.net (mx02.together.net [204.97.120.62]) by dub-img-3.compuserve.com (8.6.10/5.950515) id IAA17408; Sun, 8 Jun 1997 08:09:43 -0400 Received: from T (dial-33-MAX-RIQC-01.ramp.together.net [208.13.204.161])=

by mx02.together.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id IAA21984 for <dtanzer@CompuServe.COM>; Sun, 8 Jun 1997 08:09:51 -0400 Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 08:09:51 -0400 Message-Id: <199706081209.IAA21984@mx02.together.net> X-Sender: dad@together.net X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Version 1.4.4 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"us-ascii" To: dtanzer@CompuServe.COM >From: dad@together.net (Tony-Ray Perkins) Subject: Re: !Help from Mixico!

>1. The sliding window in my sliding door had a short black metal >flange attached to the bottom of the glass (it ran the length of the bot= t=3D >om >of the glass). This flange is pictured in figure 64-138 on pg. 64.5 of = t=3D >he >Bentley manual. It's the piece of metal attached to the bottom of the >glass in that picture. Coby has ordered a new piece of glass for me fro= m=3D > >Volkswagen, but was unsure if it comes with this metal flange already >attached (it appears to have been cemented to the bottom of the glass). = =3D >Do >any of you know if the glass comes with this flange attached, or must I >purchase that separately? Additionally, there are two small plastic or >nylon guide pieces (about 1 1/2 inches long) on this metal flange, one o= n=3D > >each end of it. Are these also included with the glass and/or flange (i= f=3D > >the flange is, indeed, a separate part)?

I have no idea but I would doubt that the glass comes with it. You would=

just put some cement on it and push it onto the new glass. Silicone shou= ld be OK as there is no danger of it coming off.

>2. How is the sliding glass put in? The Bentley manual doesn't say= =2E=3D > =3D > >The manual does refer to replacing the aforementioned guide pieces on ol= d=3D >er >model Vanagons (on pg. 64.2), but doesn't refer to replacing the pane of=

>glass. Can the new glass simply be pushed into place by pushing the top=

>edge into the upper channel in the window frame and then pivoting the >bottom up and over the lip on the bottom of the window frame? Then, of >course, the latch would be attached through the glass. > > The Bentely manual refers to removing the "outer window channel >weatherstip/seal" in order to provide enough room to replace the guide >pieces on pre 4/85 Vanagons. Is this necessary to do in order to replac= e=3D > >the sliding glass as well? And, if so, how is this done? Mine appears = t=3D >o >be loosely cemented (with contact cement) to the inside of the window >frame. Is it possible to just slide this seal out along the top of the >glass? And then will it go back in and is it then unnecessary to re-cem= e=3D >nt >it with contact cement? It seems like it fits by loosely snapping into >place and, of course, it is supported by the glass, but I'm not sure, an= d=3D > >the Bentely manual is silent on this matter. But, perhaps, it isn't eve= n=3D > >necessary to remove it. >

It appears to me that the aluminum strip along the bottom that keeps the stationary glass from moving and serves as a guide for the latch must be removed. It seems to be pressed in along its length to the bottom and there are definate traces of silicone at each end. Once this is gone I think t= he windows can be inserted in the middle position. I am not sure if the top=

or bottom goes in first but some pressure would be required. I suspect that=

they are put in from the back. I don't think it will be too hard but that piece has to go. Good luck, Lloyd dad@together.net