Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jun 1997 02:02:19 EDT
From:         oldvolkshome1@juno.com (Old Volks Home)
Subject:      Ex Bus Boy and Bus For Sale (CA)

To my fellow listees -

As of 3 1/2 weeks ago, I have terminated my partnership with Bus Boys, sold my interest in them and have reactivated my existing (low profile) business, which has specialized in weatherstrip products and small bits and pieces for Bugs and Buses before there was even a WCM, much less RMMW. For the past 10 years, most of my business has been wholesaling to places like Wolfsburg West, WCM, RMMW, etc., with retailing primarily at the VW Shows here in the west. Some mail order too. It's possible I may really blast into full time retail mail order again, but I have my hands full right now taking care of bulk drop-ship orders for my existing wholesale accounts, so that's why I've kept a low profile on the lists during this time.

As to why I left Bus Boys. As a minority partner for the past four years, I was able to generate and implement some good changes based on my previous experience in the VW mail-order world. But the majority owner and myself became at odds with one another in an increasing fashion, even more so over the past 6 months as to the direction he wished the company to take. Another major problem was the quality and ethics of the persons at the company I had to work with, including the majority owner, i.e. - looking after their personal self-interests and not the company and customer's interest. A business' performance cannot be upgraded and expect a nominal increase of sales and service standards if you give minimal, spoon-fed support. I got tired of being the only one doing this, working way too many hours and receiving only minimal support from the majority owner and most of the employees there. After buttin' heads for this length of time, I felt that enough was enough and decided to go my merry way on my own. Bus Boys has (and has always had) the potential to become a better than major player in the Type 2/Vanagon market. But if the owner and the people continue in the fashion and direction they are adamant in pursuing, they are going to have a rough and tough time staying in the market. I wish I could say more publicly, but the last thing I need is to get into legal trouble. But I will say this - They still haven't paid me for the first two weeks of May and I've had to file a wage complaint to the State Labor Board for them to cough up the dough. A hearing is set for the 19th, so who knows?

As Dennis Miller says: "I could be wrong, but that's my opinion"

Bill will be handling the E-Mail requests and such, but until they get a bigger stand-alone PC, I'm still maintaining their website for now.

To shore up additional financing for my business reactiviation, it looks like my 67 Deluxe 21 Window is going on the market. I have a lot of spare stuff stashed away for it, such as a new headliner, sunroof cover, interior panels (brown), seat covers and weatherstrip to go along with the vehicle. Have been going through my other personal stash and have an extra NOS turn signal switch, dual circuit master cylinder, a used radio that is correct for the vehicle (don't know if it works - I will have to check it out) and other odds and ends that will go with this vehicle if and when sold. Also, when it was stolen in LA in Oct 92, the thieves drilled most of the door locks but I was able to obtain a really nice matched set of handles AND ignition switch at a show that will also come with it. The thieves also took the skylight windows and the popouts, but I have also obtained new/used skylight glass and selected from my inventory the best possible good used popout frames & glass to go with it as well. Good used sunroof assembly also included (one of the small bows has to be riveted back onto the assembly. A new Bus Boys Sidestep from my inventory is also included. As much weatherstrip in my inventory is included (included is a NOS set of side cargo door seals that I purchased from WCM about 5 years ago - still in very, very good shape, although there are minor cracks in it here and there - paid over $165 just for that). New tires in 1992, still in fine shape with almost zero mileage on them - mounted on the chrome slotted wheel rims ala 356 style. I have had this Bus since my father and I bought it new in June of 1967. Bus has 307,000 miles on the clock. On it's 3rd transmission and 4th engine (bone stock 1600). No rust except in lower right windshield area and the undercarriage and floor pans are "clean". Interior is fair to good and ALL seats are there. Had to buy a Center Seat (3/4) a couple of years ago because the original was stolen and it is the correct one for a 67 Bus. All Jail Bars are there too. Haven't fired it up in 3 years, so it needs a battery, but it runs and drove it last in 1994. Registration is not current (93 sticker) but the title is clean, no liens. I estimated that that it would take about $2000 to $2500 to do take the knicks and dings out of the body and painting to really make this a nice runner again. I have restored it twice before - not a 100 point restoration you know, just something that is functional and nice to look at.

I am going to try to scan some photos of the Bus and put them on my website as soon as I can roll it outa the garage to take those photos. Right now the 84 Westy Project is in the way, but the 2.1 engine is in and I'm feverishly working on it as fast as I can to get that up and going sometime this coming week.

Asking price for this is $4000 firm and serious inquiries only. I've been offered more than that in the past few years in it's present condition and without a lot of the stuff I'm giving away with this Bus, but refused due to "heirloom" and sentimental value to me. But I've had it for 30 years and as my best, best friend Cliff has said "It's time to progress and move on". I really hate to part with this family member, but I have to agree with the statement.

The specs:

**1967 21 Window Deluxe with Sunroof **Color is Bronze and White, but will need repainting **Body and Chassis is solid, little rust (see below), but with the usual knicks and dings. **Some rust in lower right Windshield Area, easily repairable **Complete matched set of Door Handles AND Ignition Switch to replace those drilled out when the Bus was stolen almost 5 years ago **Engine Vents were cut in the early 70's and Air Scoops installed **Black Rear Mudflaps with White VW Logo installed. **Chromed German Original Bumpers (Rear is bent and needs repair - also have complete rear good used painted assembly that will come with it) **Chrome Nose Emblem - someone tried to steal it, bent it a little but otherwise OK **Chrome 15x5 Wheels (ala "356") with excellent 195x15 tires **Chromed Front Door Window Frames Note: Right side was bashed out when it was stolen, but I have replacement glasses **All Seats present and accounted for **Front Floor Mat in good useable shape - Pass. and Cargo Mats in so-so shape. **Interior in fair shape - but NEW TMI (Brown) interior stuff is provided with Bus. **Dash is not cut up - still has the clock (does not work) **Dash Grab Handle is gone (stolen) **Has aftermarket VDO Gas Gauge - not all that accurate, but functions well enough (Original was stolen) **Has VDO Oil Temp Gauge underdash and Oil Plate Sender installed **Sunroof assembly was stolen but have a complete assembly and cover to provide with the Bus **6 Popouts (Chromed) were stolen but have hand-picked the nicest used Frames & Glass with a minimum of rust to go with this Bus **All of the Weatherstrip needed to complete the project, much of it Old Volks Home or OEM stuff **New Bus Boys Side Step comes with Bus **NOS Metal Round Mirrors (never installed - been using the Hella Plastic Round Replacement Mirrors that were damaged when Bus was stolen) - Mirror stems still intact **Has 72-79 Heater Blower mounted in Engine Compartment for better heating - This really works! Switch on the Dash has the correct 67 Knob to match the others **On 3rd Tranny - about 25K **On 4th Engine - about 30K - Virtually Stock 1600 Single Port Dual Relief Case **Engine has External Cooler mounted just inside the right engine vent area. **Engine has full-flow Oil Filter within the cooling system above **Engine has stock Distributor with Allison XR700 Electronic Ignition System **Engine has T-Bird Extractor with Single Quiet Muffler. **Bus has 307K actual miles on the Chassis Note: 90% Highway Miles - Been all over the USA many, many times **Many spare replacement parts come with this Bus, such as Turn Signal Switch (NOS), Dual Circuit Master Cylinder (NOS, but has been on the shelf for awhile - may need to be disassembled and cleaned) and bunch of other stuff that I am still going through to set aside to go with the Bus. **Price is $4000 firm, serious inquiries only.

Please respond to the E-Mail address or telephone numbers below at anytime

Of course, I have other parts in my inventory or have access to stuff I don't have at this moment. E-Mail or call with your needs. Can't take Credit Cards (yet), but happy to accept your prepayment of checks, money orders or ship COD.

I can be reached most anytime during the day or night (I don't answer the phone after 9PM Pacific Weeknights). Most Saturdays I'm here except if I'm on the road to a VW Event. Sunday is my day of rest or a VW Event. I have one of those Automated Voice/FAX Modems and Software on my PC, so listen to the menu for selections. My FAX line is shared on the same line, so please manually call first, select 3 on the message menu and then send your fax.

Thanks and Keep On Bussin'

Jim Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 * (916) 221-5342 (Voice & Fax) oldvolkshome1@juno.com