Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:18:02
From:         Kelly Bauman <bauman@ican.net>
Subject:      Re: burning plastic

Well said Sean.

Martha's views are being attacked because she voiced her opinions in a very public forum. One didn't have to witness the event which precipitated this debate to have been inflammed by Martha's opinions. Certainly we are all eligible to comment on her postings because she made her postings to invite comment and because the list belongs to all of us, albeit this may be the wrong place for such a debate.

Kelly Bauman Delta, BC '91 Westy

Sean Bartnk wrote: >Hey all, >OK, I'm not even a member of the CCC (I live on the east coast) but I've >got to stick my neck out on this as it's getting really stupid at this >point. > >1st: Martha, you have absolutely no good reason to burn plastic. I >don't know why you would insist on burning it know that you know the >effects. Cancer is NOT FUN. Glen posted a very well-written and >well-though-out article responding logically to your questions. Burning >plastic can't be that much of a turn-on. > >2nd: What is this baby bickering BS? "Oh, I'm not going if she's >going" or "I'm not going if he's going." OK, we're not in third grade >anymore so let's get over it. There's no reason to break up the >legendary CCC over something as stupid as burning plastic. It should be >as clear as day at this point that burning plastic on a campfire is >bad. Very bad. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO CONTINUE DOING IT -- >continuing to burn plastic at CCC campouts knowing what you know now >would show ignorance of the facts, irresponsibility, and petty >vindictiveness. > >I've never seen fighting like this on the list. I can understand Martha >not wanting to be on the losing end of the battle, but in this case, >stubbornness isn't going to get you anywhere and could very well give >you a life-threatening illness. It's really not worth it. > >And I apologize if this sounds like "gang up on Martha day." I am sure >Martha is a fine individual (anyone who drives an air-cooled Vanagon >must be :-) ) and an asset to the list. I just happen to disagree with >her on this issue (and it seems like most other CCC members do too). >There's no reason to break up the CCC over this issue. If you want to >have an intelligent debate, fine, but quit this third-grade BS that's >going on. It's really embarassing. > >I'm sorry if I'm out of line posting this message, but this is how I >feel about the issue as I see it on the list. > >Sean >-- >*************************************************************************** ********* >Sean Bartnik >sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu Fahrvergnugen really means "push >harder." >'81 Vanagon Westy > >http://www.mwc.edu/~sbart7kb/myvan.htm >http://www.mwc.edu/~sbart7kb/tech.htm >'78 Bus Owner's Manual: http://www.conservatory.com/vw/manuals_nyx/ >*************************************************************************** ********* > >