Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:52:17 EDT
From:         oldvolkshome1@juno.com (Old Volks Home)
Subject:      Re:  Thanks and a "Service Bulletin"

Having just completed a 2.1 conversion on my Automatic 84 Westy, Blaine brought up an interesting point which I checked out this morning. When pulling the literally blown-apart 1.9, my Alternator cable was not attached with a tie-strap to the Air Box as Blaine's was. When attaching the cable onto the Alternator after installing the engine, I did notice that it was far enough away from the Throttle Body so that it would not jam into it's innards. So I didn't think much of it.

Upon reading Blaine's observation, I went out to the vehicle just to see how mine was routed and discovered that the cable had been slightly re-routed by a previous mechanic to "thread" between the radiator supply and return hoses to keep it from moving. Not a bad idea (I thought) until I noticed that the cable itself (behind the hoses) made a sharp turn against the firewall edging of which there is not rubber nor other soft material for the cable to rest against. Further inspection showed that the "Outer Convering" of the cable was starting to become a little chewed due to the covering rubbing against this edging, but had not broken through it's skin to reach the insulation of the cable. Proper repair will be of course to "unthread" it from the Radiator Hoses, electrical tape the slightly damaged covering and tie-strap it to the Air Box. Of course, remove the Battery Ground Strap before doing this - don't need any sparks flying around.

Blaine - Thanks for the tip :-)

Jim Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 * (916) 221-5342 (Voice & Fax) oldvolkshome1@juno.com 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle

Blaine Bachman writes:

Second, a warning. The dealer (accidently, I'm sure) caused me an almost meltdown over the weekend. I had the car in for the F.I. recall ("SV", I believe) last week along with other work needed to pass the smog check. Some of you may have noted that the large red wire from the alternator passes under some hoses and then over the throttle body inlet on its way to the terminal on the starter (and thence to the battery). The wire is strapped to the throttle body with a nylon wire tie.

When I picked the car up last Thursday, the accelerator pedal seemed a bit stiffer. I dismissed it as just an illusion caused by the different feel of the pedal vis-a-vis the '66 bus I had been driving

while the Vanagon was in the shop. It wasn't.

Yesterday, while accelerating from a stoplight, there was a loud pop

and the van died (and the dashboard died too). I coasted through the intersection and tried to start the car. It started, but died whenever I pressed the accelerator too far. At "idle", the revs easily peaked past 3500, so I put it in "D"rive and headed up the hill. I had to ride the brake to maintain the speed limit.

At home, I started looking into a possible F.I. problem. Then I saw

it. The wire tie was broken and 3 inches of the red cable was fried. Evidently the throttle arm had been slowly eating into the insulation over the last three days (aha! that's why the pedal was stiff!) , and had finally struck pay dirt. Disconnecting the battery ground, I took the cable off the alternator end so I could rerout it and temporarilly repair it with about five layers of electrical tape (it was too late

to look for a suitable after-market replacement - and besides, I'm gonna try and get it out of the dealer - rotsa ruck!).

So, a warning, and a question (or three).

Keep an eye on this cable and the wire tie that's supposed to keep it out of harm's way where it passes next to the throttle body.

Why was this routing chosen anyway? Has anyone moved their cable to a "safer" location? Are their different perils to be encountered along other possible routings?