Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:56:04 -0400
From:         "Richard Alexander Palmer" <rapalmer@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Parkway/ BuRPOBaT report

Howdy all, I hadn't planned to be back yet, but things which I shall detail later have made that the case... Anyway, I had a wonderful time at Busses on the Parkway! I finally got to put a lot of faces with names that I see here all the time. We arrived Friday morning at about 11 or so, just to make sure we got a good spot. Well, we shouldn't have worried, since the fog kept a lot of people away, and there wasn't any crowding, or lack of spaces. The weather was indeed foggy, but it didn't actually rain much during the days, and it had cleared up by Sunday, of course as we were leaving! There were lots of busses, and good bus people. Uncle Joel and Dave Schwarze came all the way from Alabama and Texas, and other listee's came in from surrounding states. It was great to hang out with all of you. Some of the bus highlights were a BEAUTIFUL 70 Dormobile, with a Westfalia interior unlike anything I've ever seen, and actually seeing Dave Schwarze's Safare camper. It has an ingenious interior lay out, and seven of us were able to hang out inside for a few hours in style and comfort in the rain... that's pretty hard in a regular bus lay-out. I also was astounded by listee Bob Busick's 20,000 some mile ORIGINAL 69 Westy. It's like stepping into a time machine. Everything is shiny and new. Man, it's amazing. I'd be afraid to drive it, for fear of denting or scratching something... Alas, the rain dampened any attempts to burn anything signifigant, although Dave did show us how oil makes a fire better. :) My late model pop-top transplant slept beautifully, and I know I'm really going to enjoy that. The canvas even stayed dry through several torrential downpours, for which I am grateful. :) I sold the rest of the Search and Rescue t-shirts, as well as the extra travel mugs, and lots of stickers. Many thanks to everyone who bought those...I'll probably do more shirts in a couple months... As for the Outer Banks trip, I wasn't able to make that. My girlfriend and I had been planning the trip since traveling last summer, and then she broke up with me a couple weeks ago. That, coupled with the forecast for nasty weather, and my less-than-2-months-old rebuilt starter crapping out on me, all kinda made me decide not to go. However, 4 busses are still out there having a blast. We did have to do more repairs to one bus's brake system, but that got straightened out, and they left yesterday afternoon... So anyway, it was a great bus-filled weekend, and I hope to meet more of you at the one next year!

-- ____________________________ Poor Richard is rapalmer@unity.ncsu.edu `/""""/""""/|""|'|""||""| '\ http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/r/rapalmer/www/ /____/____/ |__| |__||__| | '68 VW Crew Cab | \ /V\ /====================| '67 VW Camper-Nellie, the Wild Goose |()\ \W/ /()| _ _ |"I spend half my life explaining to Christians | \ / | / \ / \ | _-( ) why I'm a Deadhead, and the other =C========C==_| ) |--------| ) |=] _-{_}_) half explaining to Deadheads why \_\_/__.. \_\_/_ \_\_/ \_\_/__.__. I'm a Christian."