Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:51:13 -0400
From:         "Linda Bartnik" <lbart@preferred.com>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Gauge inaccuracy

An interesting note to this correlates with the common problem of rusty Vanagon gas tanks.

No one wants to buy a new gas tank when the old one rusts out on top (as they do). New ones are outrageously expensive.

So people go to a junkyard to get the tank. Well in a junkyard they typically move the vehicles around with forklifts. Well when they lift Vanagons with forklifts, they tend to dent up the gas tank on the bottom.

If they dent up the gas tank on the bottom on the driver's side, then the travel of the fuel guage sending unit can be restricted.

For instance, my '81 has a junkyard gas tank dented in the bottom on the driver's side. The gauge stops moving toward empty when it gets just inside the red zone. I've never run out of gas because I was warned about this by the PO (thanks Rick!) but when the needle gets down there and the trip odometer gets up around 210 I start to get very nervous.

I have gotten into the habit though of keeping a logbook for the Vanagon and so reset the trip meter every time I fill up with gas. This way I can keep a running total of gas mileage. Using the trip meter like this also helps me avoid running out of gas.

BTW, speaking of gas and fill-ups, I lost the gas cap from my Vanagon the other day. I left it on the roof as I drove off. The gas cap was not an original Vanagon locking cap but rather one from a Rabbit (the non-locking type with the five projections which allow you to get a grip on it). I like that a little better than the original locking cap which I have on there now (thanks again Rick for giving me those extra gas caps!) What makes me nervous about the locking cap is that it's old and I don't trust it. One day I'll be far from home and the lock will break and then I'll be SOL when I need gas. I could have sworn I had an extra Rabbit cap but I've looked through all my extra parts and I can't find it.

So if anyone has a Rabbit cap they wouldn't mind parting with for cheap, I'd appreciate it if you contact me. If not, I'll just use the original cap and cross my fingers.

Thanks, Sean

---------- > From: Jim Thompson <uvx196@juno.com>