Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:21:29 -0500
From:         ronclay@ldd.net (Ron Clayton)
Subject:      Re: Lemon ? Advice, opinionŠ

Hello Griffin:

You may take my "advice and opinion" as just that, I'm not a mechanic but I felt I should at least offer. I had an '84 that was drive several years without a cat. converter. Driving for a long time without the O-2 sensor or C.C. means the engine ran rich most of the time. this shortens engine life by among other things, alowing gas to dilulte the oil. Have your dealer do a compression test while he is checking everything else. I would say if you really like the van and have the bucks, bite the bullet and do an engine rebuild now, maybe the dealler will participate, given that he probably knew the engine was bad all along. If not, let him keep it and look for another in better shape. Good luck.