Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:50:43 -0400
From:         Mark Flynn <mflynn@shentel.net>
Subject:      Clutch Pedal & Clutch cylinder rod Q

Yesterday, I asked the listserv about how to get to the top of the clutch pedal to replace the clevis pin, so as to fix the slop in the pedal/master cylinder push rod connection.

Thanks to Don Gibbons for the following advice:

> I have done this and its not pretty. You have to remove the whole dash board > and the steering colum. Then the pedal cluster (brake and clutch) comes out. > > While it is possible to remove the clutch master cylinder with out removing > anything else, the clutch cleavis (or is it bevis?) pin and rod stay with > the pedal. The pedal and cleavis CAN NOT be removed with the assy still in > the car. My clutch pedal and cleavis pin were worn oval and was the source > of many problems. I also put in new bushing for the pedal pivot. > > Now I could be wrong about this, cutting access holes in the front may make > all this much easier but this is for you to decide. >

And to Joe Wager for:

> I HAVE ADVICE for all! Oil Your clutch linkage! > > I have the same problem. Drove from PA to OH, to Erik O's for some > parts, this clutch linkage was one of them. After removing the > dash and the entire pedel assembly from the top, (it's the > only way it will come out), we found it to, to be just as worn out! > Obviously this is a common problem. My other Vanagon is in good > shape. As I remember about 4 years ago the pedel was squeeking, > so I did what anyone who could see the parts would do, oiled it! > The only problem is that you cann't see what your oiling! > OIL YOUR CLUTCH LINKAGE!

So, when the parts have arrived, you'll find me pulling the dash & steering wheel off the bugger to replace the clevis pin & while I'm there, the clutch/brake pivot pin. At least it's not hot in the garage, no, not at all.

By the way, I had new rings, pistons, sleeves & gaskets done to the VW reman'd engine just 500 miles ago. The guy here in Winchester did a great job, and really worked on the bleeding. I think lack of a good bleed job did in the reman'd engine (done before I bought the beast.) One piston looked like it had been used to hammer steel posts in the ground. He made me promise not to disclose his name on penalty of blowing up my van w/me in it.

Mark Flynn Winchester, VA '87 Synchro