Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 97 17:37 CDT
From:         EF0JPB1@mvs.cso.niu.edu
Subject:      Lemon ? Advice

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:42:33 -0500 > From: griffin8@primenet.com (Wendy Griffin) > To: vanagon@lenti > Subject: Lemon ? Advice

> I could use some advice and opinions. > <snips here and there>

> We made a list of things that the dealer would fix before we got > the car. Mostly minor things.

> --Car has broken odometer stuck at 113,500. Dealer assures us it > is no more than 115K

"Assures" is a broad term, but even at 115K, that's not too bad. The odometer fix could be just sliding a gear back into place or replacement (it's nylon). Some have super-glued the old one back together. My odometer stopped at 66K and I kept track of mileage by gallons until I could pull the speedo and fix the odometer gear. I'm at 101K now with no problems.

> --Exhaust system needs overhaul. Dealer finds out after we buy > the car that it has no catalytic converter. Takes 2 weeks to get > one.

Exhaust system on Vanagon has historically been a problem. All the support brackets rust through and the additional stress causes pipe failure. The brackets can be easily made of stainless (they're just pipe with the ends flattened). The catalytic converter is expensive from VW, but aftermarket sources are available (Walker, I think). I see no reason for the two week delay.

> --A week after we have it, I start to do some mtce. I put > windshield washer fluid in the front, and it goes onto the > pavement. > --I try the rear window washer, and it spills onto the back > cushion. After investigation I find the line is broken open near > the roof

Front fluid reservoir is placed where ice/rocks might crack it or the previous owner left water in it in the winter. The plastic tube for the rear may suffer from the same (water in winter, so it froze). In either case, both of these are an indication of the previous owner, rather than the vehicle. My '84 washer systems work fine and I've heard no one else express problems with theirs.

> --The air filter is black before I replace it. > --The oil was supposed to be changed but the oil filter is dirty > and a Fram (which the dealer doesn't use)

Again, both of these are a reflection of the previous owner and both of these are more serious than the washer system problems. If you change the air filter and watch it, and change the oil and watch it, you can head off any further problems.

> After this all happened I got the car inspected by an inspection > service (the VW repair shops are booked up for weeks). He says > not much wrong, an oil leak here, that kind of thing. But his > major concern is the he says there is a rod knock that needs to > be chacked out.

> Ed Wehling

I would agree that rod knock is real concern. The other items you mention are bolt-on, replace as needed, but you won't be going anywhere if that rod goes! Key to this is trusting the mechanic---and NOT necessarily VW mechanics. I bought my '84 new, had it serviced by VW for 5-6 years and found a good independent shop to work on it since then.

Another potential problem is the cooling system, particularly the coolant lines from the back to the front. Have those inspected for signs of rust-through.

Lemon? Hey, it's still running 12 years after it hit the road--maybe in spite of the previous owner. No, I wouldn't say lemon at all. Would you buy an '85 D*dge van and not expect some of the same--or more--problems? I say get fixed what you know about, watch for bad signs or noises, and put it on a schedule of regular oil changes. Then you and your wife just go, and enjoy, and keep in touch with the list. If you're going to travel extensively, join LiMBO. Members get a list of other Vanagon owners who'll help out along the way across the USofA.

-Jim Bryant