Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 97 21:50:12 EDT
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: Shipping van to Europe

Tim wrote about the problems you can get when leaving your westy in the hands of a shipping company. I have been thinking of the following solution:

* Drive to a port.

* Check around for ships going to Europe.

* Ask the captain how much he wants to take me and my Westy with him as deck cargo. (Some freighters have extra cabins not used by the crew)

I've noticed that the crew on russian ships quite often bring used cars back to Russia this way.

I can also offer to work. In fact asking to work might be a more normal way, and the captain might be less confused.

Since shipping a van like this is most likely not the ordinary business of the shipping line, I'll most likely be out of luck if something goes wrong. But on the other hand, the big plus is that I'll be there the whole time to make sure my Westy is not mistreated when it is lifted on board, and I can tie it down myself.

Also if (like in Tim's case) the ship is rerouted, and/or laid up somewhere different from the original destination, I can just start my trip from there.

I don't think having the van as deck cargo is dangerous for it provided it can be placed either on the rear half, or protected behind something. I've been up on deck on the Sweden-England Ferry and even during pretty bad storms not much water breaks over the the rear parts.

Some problems I can already anticipate:

1/ US and Canadian ports are likely to have many fences and gates between me and the ship, so to drive my westy to the docks to look for ships and captains might be difficult. I will have to figure out how to persuade the security and customs to let me in.

2/ Coming into Europe in a not-so-usual way might cause interesting problems with customs and other officials.

In a smaller port it might be easier to get to the docks but on the other hand an bigger poet will likely have more ships going to Europe.

So what do you think? Any suggestions of good ports to ask around? (Or even better does anyone have connections in the shipping industry?)

/Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.rochester.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.chalmers.se University of Rochester

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------